PHILIPSBURG:—- Ten years and three ways to celebrate! The region’s largest cancer fundraiser, CIBC FirstCaribbean’s Walk for the Cure, celebrates 10 years this year and is giving the bank’s businesses across the region three ways to mark the milestone – the traditional walk with friends and family, a drive for the cure or a virtual event. The bank’s Walk Management teams have recently started their planning for this year’s event, which takes place during the first weekend in October.
“Covid-19 has caused us to be constantly looking for creative ways in which to continue to engage in all aspects of our lives, and the celebration of our 10th anniversary hosting Walk for the Cure is no exception. We have asked our various business units to choose the type of activity which best suits the prevailing public health scenario in their territory,” said executive co-chair of the walk and Managing Director, Retail and Business Banking, Mark St. Hill
He thanked the thousands across the bank’s 16-member regional footprint as well as sponsors and staff members for “walking with us over the decade, whether you were there from that very first walk or joined us along the way, your support has made a fundamental difference in the lives of persons directly affected by cancer and their families. Your funding and your fellowship has been invaluable”.
His fellow executive co-chair and the bank’s Managing Director, Wealth Management Dan Wright said he looked forward to the support of the region’s corporate sector for this year’s walk given the challenges which many of the cancer care and support charities that benefit from the proceeds of the walk are facing.
“Many of these charities are struggling as a result of reduced donations while at the same time recording an increased demand for their services,” he noted.
“We are very much aware of the challenges which the Covid-19 pandemic has dealt with many businesses. Indeed, the last year has been a struggle for businesses of all sizes as they have sought to reposition and prioritize in order to remain viable. However, we are hopeful that resources, however, limited will be found to support the vital work of those charities and institutions that we support with our walk,” he added.
In St. Maarten, Walk for the Cure 2021 takes to the road for its first-ever “Drive for the Cure” motorcade to be held on October 3rd. Partnering with the Positive Foundation for the third consecutive year, all proceeds will assist the foundation in its continued efforts – supporting Breast and Prostate cancer warriors and providing education and awareness to the public.
Ahead of October 3rd, the St. Maarten team will also, host a series of events such as “Baking for the Cure” and “Raffle for the Cure” within its branches. Persons wishing to support the cause can make contributions at the branches via the walk’s donation drop boxes or via CIBC FirstCaribbean Account C/A 10055400.
The walk began as part of the celebrations to mark the bank’s 10th anniversary and takes place across its 16-member footprint. It has raised over USD$2.9 million over the past nine years.
The funds generated from the walk are used primarily to assist with the purchase and maintenance of equipment used in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients.
They are also used to provide assistance, care, and counseling to patients and their families as well as to raise awareness, and stress the importance of early detection, through education campaigns across the region.
- Home
- /
- St. Martin News Network
- /
- ST. MAARTEN TO “DRIVE FOR...
ST. MAARTEN TO “DRIVE FOR THE CURE” ON OCTOBER 3RD AS CIBC FIRSTCARIBBEAN’S WALK FOR THE CURE CELEBRATES YEAR 10!
June 22, 2021
Top Weekly
August 13, 2026
August 14, 2026
August 13, 2026
August 14, 2026
August 14, 2026
Headlines
August 18, 2026
WIB Supports Playground Upgrade at Raoul Illidge Sports Complex | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--The Windward Islands Bank, WIB, has supported the upgrade of the playground at the Raoul Illidge Sports Complex as part of its continued commitment to corporate social responsibility and investment in children, families and healthy communities across St. Maarten. Th...
Read more : WIB Supports Playground Upgrade at Raoul Illidge Sports Complex | The Peoples Tribune
August 18, 2026
TEATT shifts more tourism funding to Expedia | The Peoples Tribune
GREAT BAY--The Ministry of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunication, TEATT, is directing more of St. Maarten’s tourism promotion budget toward online travel agency campaigns after previous Expedia marketing generated more than US $38 million in tracked bookin...
August 18, 2026
Unmanned vessel from St. Barths washes up on Saba with dog aboard | BES REPORTER
THE BOTTOM, Saba – An unmanned vessel believed to belong to a resident of St. Barths was found on the rocks along Saba’s coastline on Monday, with a dog (named Archie) still aboard.
August 17, 2026
Justice Minister outlines eight priority changes to modernize traffic laws | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--The Minister of Justice Nathalie Tackling has identified eight priority areas for a major modernization of St. Maarten’s Road Traffic Ordinance, including tougher rules on mobile phone use while driving, speed cameras, stronger DUI laws, vehicle impoundment for reck...
August 13, 2026
GEBE supports families back-to-school shopping vouchers | SoualiganewsdaySINT MAARTEN (GREAT BAY) - NV GEBE is helping families prepare for the new school year with a Back-to-School Shopping Voucher initiative, offering customers an opportunity to receive an XCG 100 shopping voucher to assist with the cost of school supplies and other essentials. T...
August 12, 2026
Draft 2026 budget show more than Xcg. 3.3 million combined for travel for Government and Parliament in 2026 | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--Government and Parliament have budgeted a combined 3,305,069 for travel in 2026, with the seven government ministries accounting for 1,873,709 and Parliament, together with its Secretariat or Griffie, accounting for another 1,431,360, according to figures contained...