SABA/THE HAGUE:— The construction of a new harbor at Black Rocks on Saba was an important component in the recent visit of Commissioner Bruce Zagers and Island Secretary Tim Muller to The Hague.
At the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management (IenW), the Saba delegation, which also included harbor project manager Ton van der Plas and policy advisors Nicole Johnson and Zelda Meeuwsen, met with the Steering Committee Harbor Project.
Van der Plas gave a presentation for the committee in which he gave an update on the project. Multiple preparation efforts are ongoing with regard to the new harbor. The reference designs for the caisson breakwater, the marina with 33 serviced slips for 10 to 40-meter yachts, and the connection roads and utilities are ready for the most part.
The design that is presently on the table is based on the inclusion of a 60-meter Roll-on Roll-off (RoRo) facility, a future-proof breakwater, and quay, and a RoRo extension to accommodate 90-meter vessels. A lot of research has been done with regard to the soil, the waves at Black Rocks, and the on-land situation.
The Steering Committee gave the go-ahead to continue with the landside part of the project: the road and utilities. The landside design includes a 750-meter road and slope stabilization, utility connection, drainage structures, and the harbor area. The roadworks will include the building of rock walls. These works will be done by the Public Entity Saba and on-island contractors which is good for the local economy.
The members of the Steering Committee were impressed with the progress, said Commissioner Zagers. The permit process should start in the third quarter of this year so the tendering can take place by the end of 2021. The biggest problem is the budget deficit for this project for which, so far, the Dutch government has made some US $40 million available. The project is several million short. Different options are being looked at to save cost: a reduced scope and a phased approach.
Commissioner Zagers emphasized at the different meetings in The Hague that with such a large project, the biggest in Saba’s history, it was of utmost important that it is carried out right the first time. “Making cuts now will deliver a project which is not future proof. Our reliance on St. Maarten for food was tested after the hurricanes and again during the pandemic. Cargo ships in the region are only getting bigger as they are more efficient. Having a future proof harbor helps in many facets. It reduces our reliability on St. Maarten, it will reduce the price of shipping as we can accommodate larger ships, it creates jobs and more tourism possibilities. All of which will help to boost and diversify our struggling economy.”
A next Steering Committee meeting is scheduled in about three months at which time decisions have to be taken on how to proceed, and whether to tender the project in full or in parts. In the meantime, Saba will continue to lobby for more funding, said Zagers. Efforts will be made to have a meeting with all relevant ministries in September to discuss how others can help with the budget deficit.
- Home
- /
- St. Martin News Network
- /
- Progress new Saba harbor ...
Progress new Saba harbor discussed in The Hague.
July 12, 2021
Top Weekly
August 13, 2026
August 14, 2026
August 12, 2026
August 13, 2026
August 14, 2026
Headlines
August 18, 2026
WIB Supports Playground Upgrade at Raoul Illidge Sports Complex | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--The Windward Islands Bank, WIB, has supported the upgrade of the playground at the Raoul Illidge Sports Complex as part of its continued commitment to corporate social responsibility and investment in children, families and healthy communities across St. Maarten. Th...
Read more : WIB Supports Playground Upgrade at Raoul Illidge Sports Complex | The Peoples Tribune
August 18, 2026
TEATT shifts more tourism funding to Expedia | The Peoples Tribune
GREAT BAY--The Ministry of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunication, TEATT, is directing more of St. Maarten’s tourism promotion budget toward online travel agency campaigns after previous Expedia marketing generated more than US $38 million in tracked bookin...
August 18, 2026
Unmanned vessel from St. Barths washes up on Saba with dog aboard | BES REPORTER
THE BOTTOM, Saba – An unmanned vessel believed to belong to a resident of St. Barths was found on the rocks along Saba’s coastline on Monday, with a dog (named Archie) still aboard.
August 17, 2026
Justice Minister outlines eight priority changes to modernize traffic laws | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--The Minister of Justice Nathalie Tackling has identified eight priority areas for a major modernization of St. Maarten’s Road Traffic Ordinance, including tougher rules on mobile phone use while driving, speed cameras, stronger DUI laws, vehicle impoundment for reck...
August 13, 2026
GEBE supports families back-to-school shopping vouchers | SoualiganewsdaySINT MAARTEN (GREAT BAY) - NV GEBE is helping families prepare for the new school year with a Back-to-School Shopping Voucher initiative, offering customers an opportunity to receive an XCG 100 shopping voucher to assist with the cost of school supplies and other essentials. T...
August 12, 2026
Draft 2026 budget show more than Xcg. 3.3 million combined for travel for Government and Parliament in 2026 | The Peoples TribuneGREAT BAY--Government and Parliament have budgeted a combined 3,305,069 for travel in 2026, with the seven government ministries accounting for 1,873,709 and Parliament, together with its Secretariat or Griffie, accounting for another 1,431,360, according to figures contained...