Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Cay Hill residents threaten legal action if illegal development not stopped.

May 4, 2021

Cay Hill residents threaten legal action  if illegal development not stopped.
Loading...

~ No building permit, building stop ignored~

PHILIPSBURG:— Residents of Cay Hill on Tuesday called on government to immediately inform the owners of an illegal commercial development in their neighborhood that they have to stop the ongoing construction and relocate their business or face legal action.

Loading...

In the wake of submitting a petition to government on April 20, government has informed the residents that a building stop had already been issued on April 16, pending a decision of the building permit request. Government has allowed minor work, such as tiling, to proceed in the meantime. However, the owner of the establishment, who has claimed he has government in his pocket, is continuing with major work and started to pour a roof on Tuesday with concrete.

The residents said that this response by government only proves one thing; the entire development is illegal because no permit has been issued. They are also asking why government has not outright stopped the development if there is no permit. Also, by allowing minor work to proceed, is government saying it is considering allowing a commercial development on a residential lot?

“They do not have a permit and it is a residential lot. So what exactly is government making a decision other than the obvious? We are asking government again to do what is clearly right or we will have to do what we have to base on the law to protect ourselves and our properties,” the residents said.

“To our knowledge, the lots in the outlined area/location have been pegged for residential use. However, the proprietor of this property has placed over twenty (20) forty-foot containers on a said lot and seemed to have commenced an illegal commercial operation of some sort from the location as of March 22, 2021,” the petition read.

“As a result, all residents have had to put up with an influx of noise, dangerously parked cars, unknown personnel, and daily heavy equipment and container movement at various hours and on holidays. This raises our level of concern for the safety and security of our neighborhood in addition to how this sort of operation will affect the valuation of our properties. The double-stacked 40-foot containers pose a serious hurricane hazard to the direct and surrounding area,” the petition read.

The residents are once again asking the Minister and by extension the government and Parliament for their urgent attention to this matter.

 

Source: https://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/37474-cay-hill-residents-threaten-legal-action-if-illegal-development-not-stopped.html

Loading...

Headlines

TEATT shifts more tourism  funding to Expedia | The Peoples Tribune

August 18, 2026

TEATT shifts more tourism funding to Expedia | The Peoples Tribune

GREAT BAY--The Ministry of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunication, TEATT, is directing more of St. Maarten’s tourism promotion budget toward online travel agency campaigns after previous Expedia marketing generated more than US $38 million in tracked bookin...

August 18, 2026

Unmanned vessel from St. Barths washes up on Saba with dog aboard | BES REPORTER

THE BOTTOM, Saba – An unmanned vessel believed to belong to a resident of St. Barths was found on the rocks along Saba’s coastline on Monday, with a dog (named Archie) still aboard.

August 17, 2026

Justice Minister outlines eight priority changes to modernize traffic laws | The Peoples Tribune

GREAT BAY--The Minister of Justice Nathalie Tackling has identified eight priority areas for a major modernization of St. Maarten’s Road Traffic Ordinance, including tougher rules on mobile phone use while driving, speed cameras, stronger DUI laws, vehicle impoundment for reck...

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...